If you own a restaurant, you know how tough the competition may be at times. And you also know that at the end of the day, everything is about your figures. Essentially, your profit measures your performance and defines how good of a restaurant you are and whether your services are of high quality. In other words, if you don’t get any income, sooner or later, things will go pear-shaped, and your business will inevitably fail.
Obviously, we don’t want this to happen, so in this article, we will look through some tips on How to Increase Your Average Check!
- It goes without saying that your waiters must know your menu inside and out. Train your servers so they can give proper advice on what dishes or wine a customer should try. They should speak from experience, so allow them to test some of the products you offer. Of course, this may be costly to let them try the dishes or drinks, but it will pay off in the long run. Your waiters must know your menu by heart/ inside and out. Train your servers so they can give proper advice on what dishes or wine a customer should try. Of course, this may be costly to let them try the dishes or drinks, but it will pay off in the long run.
- Perfect your customer service! People visit restaurants not only to stay their hunger, but they also come for the atmosphere. So make sure that the impression you leave is unforgettable and the service your clients get is up to their standards. Your staff needs to be polite but authentic at the same time, as the customer is most likely to see through feigned courtesy.
- When it comes to recommendations, don’t blatantly offer the most expensive dish on the menu. Instead of this, analyze your orders and find out high-margin products and focus on promoting them. Also, don’t be too annoying or intrusive. So if you see that the customers are not interested in your recommendations, don’t push them. Upselling is not an easy thing to do, but once you understand how to do it wisely and respectfully, your average check will certainly grow.
- People love a good deal so give it to them! Offer special discounts on certain days of the week (for example, 20% off all desserts on Wednesday). Or consider including special combos consisting of 2-3 types of dishes into your menu. Giving birthday discounts will definitely attract new customers and make old ones come back. There are many variants out there, but remember that you should never make a discount on your whole menu, or you’ll go bankrupt in no time. People will come to your place once because of a big discount but might not return when they see your usual prices.
- Last but not least, be present online! Use social media, offer an online ordering system, or implement a mobile app. Generally speaking, you should communicate with your customers 24/7. Thus, you will be able to learn their preferences and adapt your menu or services to their reviews and comments.
As you can see, increasing your average checks implies communicating with both your staff and customers and understanding them. Be open to your clients, listen to them carefully, make them feel special, and they will come back and make your business prosper.